HomeNewsJackson Fire Dept. issues safety recommendations in preparation for winter storm

Jackson Fire Dept. issues safety recommendations in preparation for winter storm

The National Weather Service is forecasting an ice storm for Jackson and West Tennessee this week. The weather service is expecting two rounds of ice, to begin Monday afternoon.

In preparation for the severe weather, the Jackson Fire Department has provided some recommendations for residents. Some of these recommendations could be life-saving, as a heavy build-up of ice can causes power outages, downed trees, and other hazards.

Power Lines:
• Stay away from downed power lines and be alert to the possibility that tree limbs or debris may hide an electrical hazard.
• Treat all downed or hanging power lines as if they are energized. Warn others to stay away and contact the electric utility.
• A power line does not need to be sparking or arcing to indicate it is energized.
• Other utility lines can become energized if they come in contact with an electrical line.
• Lines that appear to be “dead” can become re-energized as crews work to restore power, or sometimes from improper use of improperly installed electrical generators.

Loss of Electrical Power:
• Make sure your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarms have fresh batteries and are in working order.
• When electric power is out, many people turn to candles for light, which is dangerous. Candles should never be left unattended, placed in areas where children or pets could knock them over, or placed near combustible materials such as curtains.
• Always ensure that fuel-burning space heaters are a minimum of 3 feet away from combustible materials.

•Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep or leave the area. For fuel-fired heaters, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide could accumulate or uncontrolled burning could cause a fire.
• Never use your stove or oven to heat your home. These devices are not designed to heat the room or home. Misuse of these devices could potentially cause injury through fire or carbon monoxide production.
• If you have a fireplace, before using it, thoroughly inspect the chimney, flue, and damper system. Be sure that there are no obstructions, debris, or animal nests in the chimney. These may cause a blockage, allowing smoke to enter the home or cause a fire in the chimney that might damage the home, cause injury, or death.
• Never use a charcoal grill inside the home or enclosed area. Charcoal grills give off deadly carbon monoxide gas.
• Running generators within any enclosed or partially enclosed structure can lead to a dangerous – and often fatal – accumulation of carbon monoxide. Remember, always keep the generator outside in a dry, protected area, away from windows or air intakes where deadly exhaust fumes can enter living spaces.

The Jackson Fire Department says they stand ready to respond to any emergency issue and are taking the necessary precautions to ensure the community and our members remain safe during this potential winter weather event.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments